Using R in a Jupyter Notebook
To run a Jupyter Notebook with R, you need to create a conda environment and activate the kernel so Jupyter can recognize it. Then you can work with the R language in a notebook.
- Create a new conda environment:
conda create -n r-kernel
- Activate the environment:
conda activate r-kernel
- Install the R-kernel and Jupyter packages:
conda install r-recommended r-irkernel
conda install Jupyter
- Add the R-kernel to Jupyter by installing a kernel spec. This allows Jupyter to recognize the kernel and work with it interactively:
R -e 'IRkernel::installspec()'
- Run the Jupyter notebook:
- Copy the generated URL and paste it into a browser. Be careful to leave the appropriate machine name.
- Click the New drop-down button and select R.
- When the notebook launches, enter and run your code.